Top Everyday Treats For Dogs
Any food you offer your furry friend may seem like the best dog treats in the world to them!
There are several high-value dog treats you can give your pup to keep them happier and healthier, regardless of whether you are looking for the best dog treats for pitbulls or the best dog treats for yorkies.
In addition, we also have a safety issue, as we think dogs can eat anything, however, that’s not true! We want to make sure we buy them the best dog treats, and we want to know which ones are healthy and safe.
VIDEO: Choosing The Best Dog Training Treats
Table of Contents
High Value Dog Treats
High-quality dog treats are the best tool when it comes to training dogs.
This plays a pivotal role in positive reinforcement when you’re training your dog and helps your dog understand that handling those training components is related to a rewarding and positive environment.
Another reason why we use the best dog treats for our dogs is that we love them, and they love us.
Giving a few treats here and there in moderation will help cement the already growing bond between owner and dog.
Of course, a good belly rub here and there doesn’t hurt either, but it’s primarily when giving a high-quality dog treat to our dogs the connection is enhanced.
High Quality Dog Treats
The word ‘treat’ might just translate into ‘delicious’ or ‘food’ for your dog, but there is a difference between treats and healthy treats! Everything depends on what the purpose is.
For example, you may have seen those green or other colored sticks meant for your dog to chew on and protect their teeth.
These are high-value dog treats to give to your dog consistently because clean teeth lead to fewer vet visits and bills and more teeth for your dog as it ages!
Beware of raw-hide treats!
It’s also essential to understand the type of ingredients that go into these treats.
The best dog treats are human-grade, meaning it’s safe for consumption by a human. That means there are stricter rules for the goodies to pass and less of a chance of potentially harmful additives and chemicals.
You also want to look for those that are rawhide-free.
Rawhide used to be really common in dog treats. It’s basically cow skin in its natural or raw format.
That may make you think that it’s one of the safest dog treats out there, when in fact, it’s been known to be awful for dogs! The first problem rawhide causes are intestinal and digestive problems.
In the stomach of a dog, rawhide can also potentially expand, causing damaging blockages to the dog’s digestive tract. There’s also the possibility of salmonella hiding within the layers of rawhide.
Senior dog treats
Whether you are looking for the best dog treat for Cocker Spaniels, or the best dog treats for German Shepherd, first, make sure that the portion of each treat is relative to the size of your dogs.
Remember, this is a sporadic treat, not for your dog to finish the whole bag, like humans do with potato chips!
The best dog treats are human-grade, rawhide-free, and possibly grain-free.
Grain-free options are found in high-quality dog treats because grain is usually used as a filler. Yet just like rawhide, grain, and carbohydrates, in general, are not so easy for dogs to be able to digest them properly.
In addition, it would be best if you were assured that the quality of the ingredients is taken into account.
For example, is it human grade but still low-quality high-fat proteins? Or is it a blend of high-quality fish-based treats that are packed with nutrients that your dog will need? Make sure always to take a look at the list of ingredients and not just the source of ingredients when looking for the best dog treats.
High value treats for dogs with sensitive stomachs
If your life is just as hectic as the rest of us, or you’re still new to the whole dog ownership role, then here are four areas that’ll help you with finding good dog treats.
Always check the ingredients. High-quality ingredients that you know would be healthy in a human diet helps with a dog’s diet.
Also, keep in mind as dogs get older (just like in humans), weight management becomes a critical factor.
See what others say about those products, especially if you’re new to looking for high-quality dog treats. Many experienced dog owners are obsessed with their dogs and always look for the best premium dog treats. These reviews and comments will help guide you.
As natural as possible. Make sure that the caloric count is low as well. Check that ingredient list and if you see English letters forming complex chemical-sounding names, then avoid those. You want no additives, coloring, or preservatives.
Your dog won’t let you know if they’re allergic to something, so make sure you check the ingredient list that one last time, and there’s nothing there that’ll lead to allergies in your dog. The safest dog treats are those they simply make with no common food allergens.
What number of treats should I give to my dog?
It all depends. The dog’s age, their overall health, and levels of activity.
If it’s a small house dog, then you want to monitor it more than a dog that’s out all day running around in circles.
A very handy rule of thumb is approximately 5% to 10% of their overall daily meal intake (or caloric intake if you serve food with that level of detail).
How to calculate the calorie requirement of your dog.
For a simple formula, follow these steps:
1. Ask your vet how much your dog should weigh.
2. Use this simple formula to calculate your dog’s daily calorie requirements:
(Ideal weight / 2.2 x 30) + 70 = daily calorie intake.
What are the best dog treats?
We have searched the market to find the best dog treats that will keep your pal healthy, while engaging in edible reward-based training. Without further ado, The Dog Food Specialist’s best dog training treats review!
The treats selected deliver on 4 perfect dog treat essentials:
✅ High Quality Ingredients ✅ Excellent Customer Reviews
✅ Natural Dog Treats [free of artificial flavors, colors and preservatives] ✅ Free from Common Allergens
Support Your Dog’s Immune Defense Against Seasonal Allergies.
If your dog has poor gut health, and a weaker immune response, it may trigger allergic reactions like:
- dry flaky skin
- excessive shedding
- chewing or licking of paws
- watery eyes, a runny nose, and sneezing
Hemp Chewz Allergy+Skin Health soft chews feature an advanced 6-strain probiotics blend for optimal gut health and digestion to help support your dog’s immune defense against seasonal allergies and other skin-related issues.
Promotes healthy skin and coat for dogs suffering from seasonal or food allergies.
Contains an advanced blend of natural ingredients designed to provide support for dry itchy skin, hot spots, chewing of paws, excessive licking, and other irritating allergy symptoms.
Your dog’s gut is the center of their immune system.
With a healthy gut and digestion, your dog’s immune system has a strong defense against allergens and can usually fight them off with little trouble.
Best Dog Treats for Sensitive Stomachs
JustFoodForDogs Chicken Breast Dehydrated Dog Treats
- These rewards are crafted with real chicken!
- Nutritious and delicious—these treats are made with a single protein source for a simple, savory snack.
- Nothing artificial, nothing but goodness—this recipe is made without fillers, preservatives, growth hormones, BHA, BHT or artificial coloring.
- Ready-to-serve nutrition formulated by vets—this recipe is supported by science and independent research conducted at leading universities, and all within AAFCO protocols. You can feel confident knowing that these treats were formulated by a diverse team of veterinarians, including a board-certified nutritionist, toxicologist and dermatologist.
- Dehydrated and baked in ovens—these goodies deliver the crispy, crunchy texture dogs love!
Best Shih Tzu Treats
Best dental treat for dogs
Greenies Teenie Dental Dog Treats
These delicious original flavor dental dog treats are crafted with an irresistibly chewy texture that helps remove plaque and tartar.
These natural dog treats are vet recommended for at-home oral health care because they help promote oral hygiene, freshen breath and contain highly soluble ingredients that are safe and easy for your pup to digest.
- Natural dog treats crafted with vitamins, minerals and other nutrietns.
- Features a unique texture that cleans down to the gumline, fights plaque and tartar and promotes fresh breath!
- These veterinarian-recommended dog treats are accepted by the VOHC (Veterinary Oral Health Council.)
- These goodies are crafted with a whisker-licking taste!
- Proudly crafted in USA facilities with quality ingredients from around the world.
4.8 out of 5 Stars
98% OF REVIEWERS RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT
Best dog training treats
Zuke's Mini Naturals Chicken Recipe Training Dog Treats
These mini, wag-worthy rewards are crafted with the earth’s best ingredients, including real chicken first and whole foods like berries and savory herbs.
Crafted with vitamins and minerals and at less than 3 calories per treat. And you’ll love that they are free from corn, wheat and soy!
- Real chicken is the #1 ingredient.
- Wholesome, tender mini bites for all your dog’s training adventures.
- Each treat contains less than 3 calories for guilt-free rewarding.
- Crafted with natural ingredients, including whole food berries.
- 100% free from corn, wheat and soy.
4.7 out of 5 Stars
94% OF REVIEWERS RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT
Best treats for chewers
DreamBone Dog Treats
No-rawhide DreamBone chews are made with real chicken and wholesome vegetables for a scrumptious taste dogs can’t resist!
No-rawhide DreamBone Mini Chews with Chicken for dogs are made with real chicken and wholesome vegetables.
Vitamin and mineral enriched, these chews are a healthy alternative to rawhide.
Independent digestibility studies show that DreamBone chews are over 99-percent digestible.
- RAWHIDE-FREE: DreamBone chews have all the benefits of a rawhide chew – without the rawhide.
- REAL CHICKEN AND VEGETABLES: Made with real chicken and wholesome vegetables for a scrumptious taste dogs love.
- VITAMIN AND MINERAL ENRICHED: These easy-to-digest chews are a healthy alternative to rawhide.
- CHEWING HELPS MAINTAIN HEALTHY TEETH: Natural chewing action helps reduce tartar buildup and plaque.
Best dog treats for Pitbulls
4.7 out of 5 Stars
97% OF REVIEWERS RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT
Best calming treats for dogs
Get Naked Premium Calming Care Chicken & Maple Flavor Grain-Free Dog Treats, 7 count
Promote a calm, positive mood to address hyperactivity and cope with stress or anxiety with Get Naked Premium Calming Care.
Made from the finest natural ingredients, this grain-free treat features higher levels of nutritional value from fruits and vegetables, with added vitamins and minerals.
Get Naked Premium Calming Care not only supports your dog’s positive emotional state and balanced behavior but addresses overall care and well-being.
- Made with a proprietary blending of naturally calming ingredients
- Enhanced with a soothing blend of natural herbs (chamomile, hops flower, lemon balm, passionflower)
- Supports immune and gut health with natural probiotics, GanedenBC30
- CBD and drug-free
- Made in the USA
4.3 out of 5 stars
100% OF REVIEWERS RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT
Dog treats that clean teeth
Pedigree Dentastix Large Original Dog Treats
Pedigree Dentastix Original Dog Treats are clinically proven to reduce plaque and tartar buildup—a contributor to gum disease—when used as part of a daily oral care routine.
The special texture helps clean down to the gumline. Look for the patented X-shape design. Great for maintaining your dog’s dental health, while rewarding them with a tasty treat!
- Chewy, textured treats designed to promote daily oral health. Triple action: reduces tartar buildup, cleans teeth, and freshens breath
- Unique texture scrapes away at plaque and tartar and hard to reach areas while your pup chews
- Large sticks designed for dogs over 30 pounds
- Patented ingredient system helps freshen breath
- Clinically proven to reduce buildup that contributes to dental disease
4.7 out of 5 stars
96% OF REVIEWERS RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT
Dog treats for bad breath
True Acres Dental Treats
Made with an all-natural mint flavor, this two-in-one treat helps clean dogs’ teeth and freshen breath, all while satisfying the canine instinct to chew.
Its chewy texture helps scrub off plaque and tartar buildup, while your dog stays busy chewing away.
The unique six-point shape means more tartar-scraping tips to reach even those back teeth, supporting a cleaner mouth and fresher breath.
These easily digestible treats do not contain any added sugar or artificial colors, flavors or preservatives, so you can feel good about using them as your go-to dental treat.
- Dental sticks have a chewy texture that helps clean teeth, freshen breath and support oral health while satisfying your dog’s need to chew.
- Unique six-point shape helps scrub tartar and fight plaque—even on hard-to-reach teeth—and provides a more substantial chewing factor for your pal.
- Made with an all-natural mint flavor dogs find irresistible, so they’ll love chewing on this dental stick every time.
- Zero added sugars—just easily digestible ingredients that are easy on dogs’ stomachs. Give them whole or break them up for smaller dogs.
- Does not contain artificial colors, flavors or preservatives, and is proudly crafted using trusted ingredients from the USA and around the world.
True Acre Dog Treats
True Acre foods dental treats
5 out of 5 stars
100% OF REVIEWERS RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT
Best Treats for Sensitive Stomach Dogs
Get Naked Digestive Health Grain-Free Dental Stick Dog Treats
These tasty treats are specially formulated with a blend of dietary fiber, prebiotics and probiotics to help support your pup’s gut health.
These digestive health sticks work to improve the total number of beneficial microflora in his digestive system so he can feel his best.
These chicken-flavored treats are also grain-free and help to remove plaque and tartar build-up as your dog chews! Treat your pup to a nutritious snack with these delicious dental chew sticks!
- All-natural, savory chicken flavored dental sticks help to support dental health as your canine companion chews.
- Prebiotics and probiotics helps improve the total number of beneficial microflora in the digestive system to support your pal’s digestive health.
- Gluten-free doggy treats made without corn, wheat or soy so your pup can feel his best.
- High in dietary fiber with oat fiber, flaxseed, and chia seeds and only 18 calories per stick for a low-fat and low-calorie treat.
- Helps keep teeth white by reducing buildup of plaque and tartar.
Best Dog Treats for Puppies
Wellness Soft Puppy Bites Lamb & Salmon Recipe Grain-Free Dog Treats
Made in the USA and specially formulated for puppies under 1 year your pup will be eating nothing but the best!
A mixture of pure meat protein with added fruits and veggies gives your growing dog the nutrients to be healthy and strong.
You can feel good about training and rewarding your pup with Wellness natural dog treats.
If you have a recent addition to the family, Take a look at our expert review on the 6 BEST PUPPY TRAINING TREATS for your new pal too!
- A specially formulated for dogs under 1 year
- Contains only premium, all natural ingredients with no meat by-products, corn, wheat or dairy
- Perfectly sized treats that can be given daily
- Free from artificial colors and flavors
- A natural source of DHA and Omega 3
Best Hypoallergenic Dog Treats
Front of The Pack - Free Range Beef Tripe Treats
Our tasty, freeze-dried raw beef treats are made with fresh, single-sourced USDA free range beef tripe.
Packed with probiotics to promote digestive health and support the immune system they’re the perfect, protein-rich treat to help your bestie live their best life.
We never use grains, preservatives or other nasties.
- Made from pure, raw, beef tripe, free from added hormones and antibiotics, our slow 48-hour freeze-drying process locks in vital nutrients without cooking the raw meat.
- Promotes overall health and vitality with no added fillers, flavoring or rendered by-products. 100% USA sourced, made and packaged.
Best chicken free dog treats
Best Jerky Treats for Dogs
Full Moon Hip & Joint Health Chicken Jerky Human-Grade Dog Treats
100% Human Grade Dog Treats
From the best dog treats for French Bulldogs, to the best dog treats for Chihuahuas, Full Moon are the best dog jerky treats available!
They take pride in the quality of their ingredients, and no ingredient is more important than the protein they pack into every human-grade treat.
They use USDA-inspected meats sourced from Perdue Farms—the same high-quality, antibiotic-free Perdue meats you see at your local store.
For over 100 years, Perdue has worked with its farmers to raise animals right and thoughtfully tend the land.
Unlike other companies, who use high heat thermal extrusion to make their foods and treats, they slow cook their recipes under low heat to retain more of the raw ingredients’ natural nutrients and flavor.
- Made in the USA.
- Crafted with real whole muscle chicken breast for hip and joint health.
- The paw-fect snack or treat to reward good behavior!
- Contains irresistible organic cane sugar, and turmeric, as well as chondroitin and glucosamine.
- You won’t find any fillers, artificial flavors, preservatives, or colors in these wholesome treats.
Great Choice chewy dog treats
Grain free dog treats
Grreat Choice Chewy Grain Free Chicken Jerky Dog Treats (2 Pounds) and Tesadorz Resealable Bags.
- Only 2 ingredients: chicken fillet and glycerin. Large two pound bag. The treats are made in Thailand
- One set of Tesadorz 8×10 resealable bags are ideal for grabbing few treats for hiking, picnics or trips to the dog park
- Recommended only as a treat for dogs weighing 6 pounds or more
- This delicious chicken jerky contain no wheat, corn or soy. They also do not have artificial colors, flavors or preservatives
- Grain and Gluten Free
- Only 2 ingredients
- 60% Protein
- Low Fat
- No Wheat, Corn or Soy
- No Artificial Flavors, Colors or Preservatives
Best dog treats - to sum up!
Whether you are looking for the best dog treats for training, dental care, or helping to reduce anxiety levels, make sure you find the best premium dog treats that won’t negatively affect their health or weight control over the long term. We hope the above review has helped you find the healthiest training treats for your dog!
Did you know that a dog’s gut health has a significant influence on its overall health? A recent scientific study reports that 70% to 80% of all illness begins in the gastrointestinal tract!
Discover why this supplement is essential for your dog’s immune system and overall health-read our blog on: The best Probiotic for Dogs