Top Puppy Training Treats
Want to know what the 8 best puppy training treats are? And for the health of your dog why it’s so important to choose the correct ones -then read on!
A new puppy is exciting, but when the reality sets in that you’re also responsible to train, some owners feel overwhelmed. If this is you, you’re not alone!
VIDEO: How To Use Treats in Dog Training
Why Use Puppy Treats for Training?
If your dog performs a behaviour that leads to an enjoyable result, they’re more likely to repeat it in the future.
As a result, the most effective way to ensure this connection in your puppy training sessions is through providing consistent rewards for desirable behaviours. What does a dog find rewarding though?
The answer will change with each dog, but food will produce steady results regardless of dog.
While praise or play may be rewarding enough to some, the best dog training treats will work as they tap into a primal need and instinctive desire.
Dogs learn faster with treats!
Your dog will learn faster, and even enjoy training, when they’re rewarded for good behaviour.
Treats stimulate a positive response in your dog when rewarded for their good behaviour or enticed to follow commands. This can be extra effective when used with puppies as keeping their attention can be more difficult.
The treat then establishes a positive association with the behaviour, training, following commands, and even their bond with you, which makes the likelihood of future recall increased.
Working upon this innate need, for food, allows your dog to learn the desirable trained behaviour quicker, and continue doing it even after you begin to fade treats out.
How to Choose the Best Puppy Training Treat
Some things you might want to consider when selecting a treat when training your dog are:
- Health conditions (if your dog has any)
- but ultimately what type of treat you choose will depend on your own dog and what they prefer.
So whether you’re looking for the best training treats for German Shepherd puppies, Goldendoodle puppies, or any other breed of puppy, read on!
With a young puppy it’s difficult to know potential allergies right off the hop.
This is why it’s responsible to choose puppy treats that are free from common allergens such as dairy, proteins, eggs, soy or gluten (from wheat).
By proactively choosing the best training treats for puppies with sensitive stomachs you also avoid these ingredients, and evade any nasty reactions or stomach issues too.
When training the focus should be on both you and the behaviour you’re aiming to strengthen, not the treat.
Choosing small dog treats for training allows it to be easily swallowed or requires little chewing, so you can reward “quickly, little and often”.
Having a smaller treat also allows you to easily hide the treat in your palm, returning the focus to you and your next command.
Texture [Crunchy or Soft]
Similar to size, soft puppy training treats are the better option as they’re designed for those little mouths.
If you do opt for crunchy treats, ensure you break them into smaller pieces when possible.
You want treats to be smelly, the smellier the better!
Dogs are scent driven so smellier treats usually work very well!
Avoid giving these foods to your dog!
One of the most important things to remember when choosing a treat is to make sure that it’s safe for your puppy to eat.
In addition to allergens, human food can also be harmful to your dog.
Food such as dairy products, fatty meats such as bacon, and fruit with stones [peaches, plums, and the like] should be avoided as they introduce an array of struggles for your dog’s digestive system that have been proven to lead to larger health issues, and even death!
Likewise, chocolate, grapes, coffee and alcohol should also be avoided completely has they have ingredients and elements that are toxic to dogs.
Furthermore, anything containing small, sharp or cooked bones should never be given to your dog as they can induce choking or splinter, causing tears to any element of your dog’s digestive track.
Discover the toxic foods in your kitchen that can harm your dog in our blog.
How Many Training Treats can a Puppy Have a Day?
Two of the most common questions we hear are, ‘How many training treats a day should a puppy have? and ‘ What treats can I give my puppy when training’?
When training it can be easy to lose track of how many treats you have rewarded with.
is no doubt that rewarding your puppy with a treat every single time they correctly perform the behaviour will yield the best results.
Your dog will absolutely love this, but their health won’t!
Rule of thumb is that treats, during training or otherwise, shouldn’t make up more than 10% of your puppy’s daily food intake.
Natural training treats for puppies are one way to simultaneously reward and provide nutritional benefits to your pup.
Another trick you is to use their kibble as the reinforcer treat. By mixing the kibbles with a few moist treats they obtain the treats smell and taste.
These healthy dog training treats for puppies are key to providing your pup the pleasure of being reward, without the weight gain!
How to calculate the calorie requirement of your dog.
For a simple formula, follow these steps:
1. Ask your vet how much your dog should weigh.
2. Use this simple formula to calculate your dog’s daily calorie requirements:
(Ideal weight / 2.2 x 30) + 70 = daily calorie intake.
What are good treats for 8 week old puppies?
Human foods that are dog-friendly!
Veggie treats like carrots and green beans are healthy for puppies. You can also try small pieces of cheese or peanut butter (make sure it’s xylitol-free!) if you want occasional high-value treats!
What Treats are Best for Puppy Training?
We have searched the market to find the best puppy training treats that will keep your puppy healthy, while engaging in edible reward-based training.
Without further ado, let’s look at our puppy training treats reviews!
The treats selected deliver on 5 perfect puppy treat essentials:
✅ Safe Puppy Treats ✅ Customer Reviews ✅ Natural Dog Treats [free of artificial flavors, colors and preservatives]
✅ Small In Design for your Pup’s Mouth ✅ Free from Common Allergens
Healthy Training Treats for Puppies
Best Training Treats for French Bulldogs
JustFoodForDogs Chicken Breast Dehydrated Dog Treats
- If you want Organic Training Treats for puppies, then these rewards are crafted with real chicken!
- Nutritious and delicious—these treats are made with a single protein source for a simple, savory snack.
- Nothing artificial, nothing but goodness—this recipe is made without fillers, preservatives, growth hormones, BHA, BHT or artificial coloring.
- Ready-to-serve nutrition formulated by vets—this recipe is supported by science and independent research conducted at leading universities, and all within AAFCO protocols. You can feel confident knowing that these treats were formulated by a diverse team of veterinarians, including a board-certified nutritionist, toxicologist and dermatologist.
- Dehydrated and baked in ovens—these goodies deliver the crispy, crunchy texture dogs love!
Best Grain Free Puppy Treats
Wellness Soft Puppy Bites Lamb & Salmon Recipe Grain-Free Dog Treats
- Specially formulated for dogs under 1 year
- Contains only premium, all natural ingredients with no meat by-products, corn, wheat or dairy
- Perfectly sized treats that can be given daily
- Free from artificial colors and flavors
- A natural source of DHA and Omega 3
Wellness Soft Puppy Bites Grain-Free Lamb & Salmon Recipe Dog Treats are wholesome, all natural, tasty, bite-sized dog treats.
Made in the USA and specially formulated for puppies under 1 year your pup will be eating nothing but the best!
A mixture of pure meat protein with added fruits and veggies gives your growing dog the nutrients to be healthy and strong.
Ratings: 4.7 out of 5 Stars 2007 Reviews
95% OF REVIEWERS RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT
Puppy Chow Training Treats
Puppy Chow Healthy Start Salmon Flavor Training Dog Treats
- Crafted with real salmon as the #1 ingredient to help support your puppy’s growing muscles.
- Contains DHA—a healthy omega-3 fatty acid that helps encourage healthy skin and a lustrous coat.
- Each treat contains just three calories for the perfect low-calorie training reward.
- Infused with a natural hickory smoke flavor that dogs love.
- Sized just for puppies but can easily be broken into smaller pieces.
These scrumptious bites are made with real salmon as the very first ingredient for the high-quality protein your growing puppy deserves, and they contain the healthy omega-3 fatty acid, DHA, to help promote healthy skin and a shiny coat.
The smaller size of these treats are perfect for puppies and they contain just three calories, which make them the paw-fect training rewards.
Puppy Chow Training Dog Treats are specifically designed for puppies to provide them with the beneficial nutrition they need with the flavor they love.
4.3 out of 5 Stars 265 Reviews
91% OF REVIEWERS RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT
Best healthy puppy treats for training
Ziwi Good Dog Rewards Air-Dried Beef Dog Treats, 3-oz bag
- Formulated for engaged training and high-value rewarding, these wag-worthy, air-dried goodies are packed with nutrition.
- Guilt-free, low-calorie, grain-free rewards made with no added carbohydrates or cheap fillers.
- Perfect for picky pups and protein-sensitive sidekicks, this single-protein recipe contains whole-prey ratios of 96% meat, organs, bone and New Zealand green mussels.
- Naturally promotes mobility, vitality and overall well-being with 10% superfood inclusions of cold-washed green tripe, New Zealand green mussels, and organic kelp.
- Perfect for training and rewarding dogs of all breeds and ages.
Using fresh meat, organs and bone, these treats are the ideal training tool, and a perfect way to reward your loved companion.
And just like the Ziwi air-dried food, they used a gentle twin-stage air-drying process that naturally preserves all the ingredients while eliminating pathogenic bacteria.
Plus, there’s just 5.2 calories each—making it the perfect package for your dog to thrive!
77 Reviews 4.7 out of 5 Stars
96% OF REVIEWERS RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT
Low calore training treats fror puppies
Crazy Dog Train-Me! Minis Bacon Flavor Dog Treats
- Perfect training treat for rewarding small dogs and puppies, with just 1.5 calories per treat.
- First ingredient is meat. Contains no corn, soy BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin.
- Designed to attract, focus, motivate, and reward dogs, and speed up the learning curve.
- Resealable bag with approximately 200 treats, perfect for rewarding on the go.
- Delicious smoked bacon flavor in a low fat, low calorie treat that’s great for repetitive training because it won’t fill your dog.
Crazy Dog Train-Me! Minis Bacon Flavor Dog Treats were created so that you can reward your small dog or puppy with a special training treat.
These savory mini bites have been recommended by thousands of professional trainers because they motivate dogs to learn new tasks.
And what pup wouldn’t be focused on the tasty prize—a real-meat treat with a smoked bacon flavor. Train-Me!
Minis won’t add tons of calories to your dog’s diet, and each tiny treat contains no corn, soy, BHA, BHT or ethoxyquin.
155 Reviews 4.6 out of 5 Stars
94% OF REVIEWERS RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT
Best training treats for puppies with sensitive stomachs
Navus Naturals Serrano Ham Recipe With Lamb Flavor Dog Treats, 3.5-oz bag
The convenient size and tempting flavors of Navus Naturals Serrano Ham & Lamb Recipe Semi-Moist Premium Snacks Dog Treats make a great reward snack for training sessions!
Delectable Serrano Ham from the mountains of Spain, and lamb from New Zealand will take your dog on a flavor adventure.
These treats are made with no artificial colors or flavors, and contain omega 6 and omega 9. Plus, they’re GMO free, gluten free and highly digestible, making these treats a great option for dogs with sensitive stomachs.
- Dog treats made with no artificial colors or flavors.
- Highly digestible–-a great option for dogs with sensitive tummies.
- GMO free and gluten free.
- Contains omega 6 and omega 9.
- Yummy ham and lamb flavors.
Potty Training Treats for Puppies
When it comes to potty time, it is best to use your voice – sometimes using a clicker can be too distracting; however, treats are always welcome when reinforcing “going potty” behavior. Don’t use walks as a way to force them to go to the bathroom. Instead, use them to reward (or reinforce) good potty habits.
So, let’s look ate the best potty training treats for puppies!
Blue Buffalo Baby Blue Natural Savory Chicken Puppy Treats, 4-oz bag
These meaty morsels treats are baked to perfection with wholesome ingredients such as real chicken.
Your dog will love chowing down on these delicious and nutritious bite-sized snacks!
And you’ll love the fact that the vitamins, fatty acids and antioxidants help support your pup as she grows and develops.
- Made with love—and honest ingredients including real chicken.
- These meaty, bite-sized morsels make training easier.
- A treat that tastes good and you’ll feel good about!
- Free of artificial flavors or preservatives, corn, wheat, soy or byproduct meals.
- Helps support overall puppy growth and development.
Goody Box Puppy Toys, Treats & Potty Training
- This Goody Box comes with eight total items—fun toys, tasty snacks, a grooming brush, teething rings and poop bags—everything they need to be prepared wherever they go.
- You get a total savings of up to 45% off with so many puppy-approved products bundled together. No subscriptions or commitments.
- Available only at Chewy, this Goody Box is best suited for puppies.
- Top-rated goodies inside: two toys, two full-size snack bags, chicken flavored teething rings, a grooming brush, planet friendly poop bags and a bag dispenser.
- Makes the perfect gift, so get one for your pup or for a friend today!
Natural Training Treats
Support Your Dog’s Immune Defense Against Seasonal Allergies.
If your dog has poor gut health, and a weaker immune response, it may trigger allergic reactions like:
- dry flaky skin
- excessive shedding
- chewing or licking of paws
- watery eyes, a runny nose, and sneezing
Hemp Chewz Allergy+Skin Health soft chews feature an advanced 6-strain probiotics blend for optimal gut health and digestion to help support your dog’s immune defense against seasonal allergies and other skin-related issues.
Promotes healthy skin and coat for dogs suffering from seasonal or food allergies.
Contains an advanced blend of natural ingredients designed to provide support for dry itchy skin, hot spots, chewing of paws, excessive licking, and other irritating allergy symptoms.
Your dog’s gut is the center of their immune system.
With a healthy gut and digestion, your dog’s immune system has a strong defense against allergens and can usually fight them off with little trouble.
Puppy Training without Treats
Training a dog is certainly the hardest part of owning a dog.
It can be very frustrating having a dog that is not housebroken, or barks excessively, or keeps pulling on the leash during your walks, or doesn’t respond whenever it’s called, or jumps up on people, etc.
You’ll be fed up, because it’s pretty exhausting to keep trying to make them listen. You’ll wonder how professional dog trainers help dogs behave exactly the way they (the trainers) want them to.
But hiring a trainer can be quite expensive, and to be honest, you don’t really need to.
Want to learn more on how to train your dog properly?
In this Free workshop, you will didcover:
- How to train your dog using body language, rather than verbal cues
- The 3 key techniques that service dog trainers use to train dogs, and how you can use them too
- The most important step that “normal” dog owners have been missing (this is very important to get your dog’s attention, and it works 100% of the time)
- How to stop bad behaviors like excessive barking, pulling on the leash, jumping, etc.
- Why a lot of dog owners are unable to establish the amazing bond that service dog trainers have with their dogs.
Learn how the pros at K9 Training Institute train service dogs to be so calm and well-behaved!
You can attend a free online workshop on dog training by clicking here: The K9 Training Institute.
Best puppy training treats - to sum up!
Whether your looking for the best training treats for French Bulldog Puppies, or the best training treats for Pitbull Puppies, or whichever out of the 190 dog breeds in the US, we hope you’ve enjoyed learning about some of the healthiest and best puppy training treats available on the market today.
Remember that puppy training treats are now your new best friend in your journey towards a lifetime of obedience and polite behaviour. But to go beyond that, positive reward-based training can truly do wonders for making the bond between you and your best pal blossom.
Training is an overwhelming feat. Remember to stay consistent, be repetitive, but more importantly keep calm and treat on!
Did you know that a dog’s gut health has a significant influence on its overall health? A recent scientific study reports that 70% to 80% of all illness begins in the gastrointestinal tract! discover why this supplement is essential for your dog’s immune system and overall health
Check out our blog on: the best probiotics for puppies!