Dog Treat For Bad Breath
Do you want to know what the best dog treats for bad breath are, and why they are so important to your dog’s longevity?
Maintaining the health of your dog’s teeth is one of the most important things that a dog owner can do for their precious pooch, yet many fail to consider the significance of canine dental care.
Unfortunately, the vast majority of dogs—over 80%–develop dental disease by the time they are three years old.
Such a condition can easily be prevented with a minimal investment of time and energy into caring for your dog’s teeth.
VIDEO: Causes of Bad Breath in Dogs
While brushing a dog’s teeth is paramount to a dog’s dental health, giving your dog treats for bad breath can freshen their breath, clean plaque, and strengthen their teeth.
Maintaining your dog’s dental hygiene is extremely important, as ignoring it can cause plaque buildup and serious dental problems. In dogs, dental disease is second only to ear infections in terms of severity, and is very uncomfortable, just as it would be for humans.
Keeping your dog’s teeth clean is part of regular grooming so that you avoid expensive dental treatments.
Table of Contents
Early warning signs of bad breath in dogs!
Gum disease can cause abnormal bad breath (halitosis) as a result of severe infection.
Imagine what your breath would smell like if you didn’t brush your teeth for a few days!
This is an early warning sign of disease that should never be ignored.
Bad breath can have many other causes as well, so it’s important to consult your veterinarian as soon as possible, rather than just assume it’s normal or a sign of aging.
“The most common cause of halitosis in the dog is periodontal disease arising from plaque (biofilm) and tartar build-up.”
What causes halitosis in dogs?
Halitosis is brought about by:
- Microbes related with plaquetartar (otherwise called calculus)
- Breaking down food particles held inside periodontal pockets
- Continuous bleeding because of coagulation irregularities
- Tissue putrefaction (demise of tissue) from oral growths
Is there anything you can give a dog for bad breath?
- Make sure your dog is receiving the right food – some owners prefer to feed their dog wet food instead of dry food. Nevertheless, dry dog food may provide a mild cleaning effect on teeth as well as exercising their chewing muscles.
- Since every dog is unique, there is no one diet that will work for all dogs. For more specific advice on what diet works best for your dog, consult your veterinarian or a reputable pet store.
- Follow these tips to brush your dog’s teeth regularly.
- You can also keep your dog’s teeth clean by giving him dental chews or treats.
- Even though raw, meaty bones make a tasty treat and help clean your dog’s teeth, they can also be hazardous. The consumption of bones can cause dental fractures in dogs who eat ‘energetically’, and can result in constipation. Cooked bones are likely to fracture and cause internal damage. If you do feed your dog bones, ask your vet for advice first, and supervise them whenever they do so.
What treats make dogs breath smell better?
To help you find the best dental treats for your dog, dog food specialist in collaboration with Chewy.com has sourced the best nine dog dental chews with the highest customer ratings!
Best Natural Dog Treats for Bad Breath
Dr. Mercola Gentle Chew Bone Rawhide-Free Small Dental Dog Treats, 12 count
Dr Mercola Gentle Dental Bones for Dogs clean your pet’s teeth with natural cleaning abrasives, while freshening their breath.
Your dog’s teeth need regular cleaning and attention, just like yours do. In fact, caring for your dog’s teeth may add up to 2 years to their lifespan.
Each safe and delicious dental bone is the natural alternative to other popular, yet potentially hazardous, dog dental chews on the market.
Dr Mercola Dental Bones for Dogs provide your pet with 100% natural nutrition, USDA certified organic brown rice as the primary ingredient, natural cleaning abrasives, a completely digestible chew, an irresistible flavor, and fresher breath.
- Pack of 1 x Dr. Mercola, Gentle Dental Chew Bone, Small, For Dogs, 12 Bones
- A Tasty Oral Care Treat For Dogs With Sensitive Teeth & Mouths
- Helps Clean Teeth & Freshen Breath – Healthy Pets
- Completely Digestible – Gluten Free – Soy Free – GMO Free
- No Artificial Flavours, Colours, or Preservatives
Also available for Large Dogs:
Dog Breath Freshener Treats
Greenies Fresh Regular Dental Dog Treats
Greenies believes in the value of preventative care, so they’ve assembled a team of world-class scientists, vets and nutritionists to design quality treats that help your pet live a healthier life
Greenies dental dog treats are among the best fresh breath treats for dogs, as the regular-sized treats have garnered a rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars based on 115 customer reviews from Chewy.com.
The rigid shape and consistency of these treats provide a thorough cleaning experience for your dog’s teeth, allowing plaque buildup towards the rear of a dog’s mouth to be reached with ease.
Moreover, Greenies dental dog treats are one of the best dog treats for dog breath, as these treats leave your dog’s breath smelling minty and fresh.
Best Dog Treats for Bad Breath
Nylabone Nutri Dent Limited Ingredients Fresh Breath Natural Dental Dog Treats
Nylabone natural dental dog treats consist of only nine ingredients that provide your dog with an easily-digestible product and a long, satisfying chew.
Popular among dog owners who have purchased this item, these treats are rated 4.6 out of 5 stars on Chewy.com.
Nylabone natural dental dog treats claim to offer several different textures in a single treat-the firm exterior is lined with grooves and bumps that help to remove stinky plaque from hard-toreach places in your dog’s mouth.
These features make Nylabone natural dental dog treats one of the best dog treats for bad breath.
- The 360-degree scrubbing nubs help clean teeth and freshen breath!
- These natural dog treats are highly digestible.
- Limited-ingredient formula.
- Vet-recommended goodies.
- Formulated with a Fresh Breath flavor.
Milk-Bone Fresh Breath Brushing Chews Daily Dental Dog Treats
Milk-Bone produces one of the best dog treats to freshen breath with their spearmint-scented dental biscuit.
This product is widely acclaimed, as it has a rating of 4.7 stars out of 5 stars based on customer reviews from Chewy.com.
In addition to clearing plaque and tartar buildup from the teeth and freshening breath, these treats are fortified with calcium to aid in the strength of teeth and other bones.
- Patented design combines flavor and function with real spearmint, plus ridges and nubs which help scrub away plaque and tartar buildup to freshen breath and encourage healthy gums.
- Fortified with calcium to support strong teeth and bones.
- Approved with the Veterinary Oral Health Council (VOHC) Accepted Seal.
- Made with zero artificial flavors for a treat you can trust.
Dog Treats For Bad Breath
Merrick Fresh Kisses Double-Brush Coconut + Botanical Oils Infused Large Dog Dental Dog Treats
Plenty of dental treats effectively remove plaque and tartar, but few also freshen breath.
With the help of all-natural ingredients and an innovative double-brush design, these treats can accomplish both.
The unique shape of the treat features bristles on either side that effortlessly swipe away buildup on the teeth to promote good oral health in dogs and help prevent health issues from developing later.
These dog treats for breath are popular among dogs and dog owners, as they have maintained a rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars based on 174 customer reviews on Chewy.com.
These delicacies come in both mint and coconut flavors, and they are infused with a variety of natural ingredients to provide your pooch with one of the best dog treats for fresh breath.
- All-natural dental treats for large dogs.
- Designed to deliver cleaner teeth and truly fresh breath.
- Feature a soft but tough texture to remove plaque and tartar from teeth.
- Infused with 14 of the world’s best all-natural ingredients including coconut, peppermint, lemongrass and rosemary oils.
- Crafted in the USA.
Small Dog Treats for Bad Breath
Health Extension Fresh Breath Mint Flavored Dog Dental Treats
Health Extension has been feeding pets holistically for over 60 years, cooking up recipes with all-natural, highly digestible meat proteins and whole food ingredients like leafy vegetables, antioxidant-rich berries and pure coconut oil.
These dog dental treats produced by Health Extension have acquired a rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars based on 10 reviews at Chewy.com.
Though this brand is not widely acclaimed at this point, dog owners rave about the ingredient list of these treats because it is free of harmful preservatives and fillers.
These treats also provide a thorough clean of a dog’s mouth while leaving them with minty breath.
Best Bad Breath Treats For Dogs
PetHonesty Oral Hygiene Fresh Sticks Dog Dental Chews
PetHonesty Oral Hygiene Fresh Sticks are undoubtedly one of the best dog bad breath treats on the market, as they have obtained a rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars based on 117 reviews at Chewy.com.
The consistency of these treats differs from most other dog dental treats in that they are flexible yet hard and chewy.
Additionally, the peppermint flavoring and enzymes contained within these treats make them arguably the best dog breath freshener treats.
Bonus: PetHonesty also offers one of the best dog treats for sensitive skin with their allergysupporting option that can be found here:PetHonesty Allergy Support Fresh Sticks Pumpkin Peanut Butter Flavor Dog Dental Chews
- GMP compliant; Made in the US with US and globally sourced ingredients and contains no GMOs, wheat, corn, soy or harsh preservatives.
- Designed with ridges and a special texture to help brush off plaque and tartar.
- Helps eliminate the bad bacteria that can cause a stinky breath.
- Supports overall dental health.
HempChewz Immune Defence for Dogs
Support Your Dog’s Immune Defense Against Seasonal Allergies.
If your dog has poor gut health, and a weaker immune response, it may trigger allergic reactions like:
- dry flaky skin
- excessive shedding
- chewing or licking of paws
- watery eyes, a runny nose, and sneezing
Hemp Chewz Allergy+Skin Health soft chews feature an advanced 6-strain probiotics blend for optimal gut health and digestion to help support your dog’s immune defense against seasonal allergies and other skin-related issues.
Allergy and Skin Health Chews for Dogs
How Allergies and Your Dog’s Gut Health are Linked
Your dog’s gut is the center of their immune system.
With a healthy gut and digestion, your dog’s immune system has a strong defense against allergens and can usually fight them off with little trouble.
Promotes healthy skin and coat for dogs suffering from seasonal or food allergies.
Contains an advanced blend of natural ingredients designed to provide support for dry itchy skin, hot spots, chewing of paws, excessive licking, and other irritating allergy symptoms.
Indigenous Pet Products Fresh Breath Formula Grain-Free Mint Flavored Dental Dog Treats
These tasty treats have earned an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars based on 13 customer ratings on Chewy.com.
Though this dental chew has not accrued the customer reviews of big-name brands such as Greenies or Milk-Bone, customers love their wholesome, natural ingredients.
Among them are several meat products including chicken and other irresistible ingredients that are not commonly found in other dog dental chews.
With their extensive list of wholesome, natural ingredients and a refreshing, minty flavor, Indigenous Pet Products offers a terrific dog treat for bad breath.
- Delicious fresh breath bones are made with healthy ingredients for a safe and highly digestible treat.
- The unique mini size is perfect for smaller mouths and is designed to remove plaque and tartar.
- Contains probiotics and omegas 3 and 6 from salmon oil for a beneficial snack.
- Resealable bag keeps treats fresh and ready for use to reward or spoil your pup.
- Scientifically formulated and made with pride in the USA.
True acres dental treats
Bad Breath Dog Treatment - To sum up
Providing a dog with dental treats is one of the most important things that a dog owner can do to improve their precious pooch’s dental health.
Dental treats provide dogs with an assortment of benefits that can negate harmful and expensive dental diseases in the future. Moreover, pet owners will be happy with the fresh breath that dental treats can provide to their canine companions.
Purchasing any of the fine dog dental treats listed above would be a very small investment that can make a major difference in the life of your furry friend.
Did you know that a dog’s gut health has a significant influence on its overall health?
A recent scientific study reports that 70% to 80% of all illness begins in the gastrointestinal tract! discover why this supplement is essential for your dog’s immune system and overall health-read our article on the best probiotic for dogs.
- Works Cited
- Hiscox, L., & Bellows, J. (n.d.). Dental disease in dogs: VCA Animal Hospital. VCA.